Thursday, June 24, 2010

Coming Out: Nicole

As we continue to celebrate Gay Pride week, we share with you personal stories from the eyes of the ladies (and men) who express what Gay Pride means to them. They share their stories, struggles and triumphs - living testaments to what NYC is all about: living and loving. Here we hear from Nicole, a 34 year old lesbian as she shares with us her coming out story:

Who is She: Nicole, 34 years old

Where is She From: New York


"I am so New York because living in NY is not just about where you rest your head -  its a lifestyle, an experience and there is always an opportunity if your hungry enough to go and get it."
  
How do you know what normal is at 7 or 8 years old? The answer is you just don't - but I learned that pretty fast. I first "came out" in elementary school, but it didn't take long for me to run right back in. When I was in the second grade I had the biggest crush on this beautiful girl in my class named Marjorie. I was crazy for her! I'd spend my allowance money (which wasn't much back then) on candy for us, and I'd spend my time in class daydreaming about her and writing love notes like "Do you like me? Check yes or no."
That's where the trouble began. I gave the note to one of the girls in class and asked her to give it to Marjorie for me.
As soon as she read it she laughed and when we got in trouble for passing notes, she just waited for lunch time and told everybody I was a "gaylord" and had the cooties. I was so embarrassed. I didn't know what 'gay' was but I knew it had to be terrible if everyone was making fun of me. After that I kept all my future crushes to myself and tried my best to fit in, because I didn't want anyone to think I was still gay even though I was. I didn't officially 'come out' until I was 21.
Now I sit back and wish I could wipe the tears off  that scared little girl's face - afraid to be who she was. I've learned what pride is - it's being proud of who you are and not letting anyone try to tear you down or make you become what you're not. It's standing up for what you believe in and representing it at its best.

She's So New York proudly salute the men and women like Nicole, who love fearlessly. We encourage our readers to inform and inspire each other and you can start by sharing your stories with us! Any coming out stories you want to share? What does Gay Pride mean to you? Remember - your story can help someone else write their own...

Send your submissions to walkergordonproductions@gmail.com.

"She's So New York: We Are Not A Website, We Are A Community"

No comments:

Post a Comment