Monday, July 12, 2010

What's In Your Bag?

Our newest addition to the She's So New York, Rhonda Murray offers her take on the essential everyday New York woman's life: her handbag!

Follow her as she embarks on the streets and sights of The Big Apple as she asks the big question: So New York lady: What's In that Bag?


                                              
 Have you ever wondered what your best friend is chugging around in that piece of art called a handbag?
I am a woman who believes it takes a village (read: pharmacy) to conquer the city's unexpected perils. Take a look inside my well stocked bag that keeps me prepared for any excursion!
I’m going step by step through every inch! Take notes and ENJOY!


Library On Foot·

 ZINK Magazine - My ‘go to’ monthly fashion/lifestyle read. Great articles that are “off the beaten path” of most commercial fashion mags. My dear childhood friend Neici Thomas is on staff at Zink! She writes culture/couture reviews bursting with witty spunk. I am now HOOKED! If I forget my V Mag. This is the one. www.zinkmagazine.com·

 Hungry By Crystal Renn - Ladies, you NEED to read this book. It is an amazing story of triumph over the self-esteem battle. Crystal Renn is a well known model who struggled with weight issues (more to come on this.) She has since become one of the highest paid models in the world. Gracing the runway for the incomparable Jean Paul Gautier. This story will encourage and uplift you! www.crystalrenn.com

Ready, Set, Go!·

MTA MetrocardA MUST in our City! I have been able to resist the urge to get a monthly pass. Just can’t commit *wink*. There is an amazing artistic movement going on underground. Check it out. www.mta.info/mta/aft/·

Human Rights Campaign Debit Card For Bank Of America/Photo ID - I am proud to swipe this card for each and every purchase as a symbol of my passion for equal rights, the birthright for all Gods Children. www.hrc.org·

Lady GaGa ‘Heartbeats’ In-Ear Headphones - Created by Dr. Dre, GaGa, and Monster Cables for the music enthusiast, these badboys literally silence all traces of background noise for optimum listening pleasure. This is my companion on the train. Tangle Free. Beautiful sound. I’m in love. www.ladygaga.com/heartbeats/


Duade Reade In A Bag

· Hand Sanitizer – If I told you what was really on that rail your using to steady yourself - you’d gag. It will NOT take the place of good ol’ soap and water but when that's not possible, Protect Thy Self! http://www.purell.com/·

Pampers Baby Wipes {Thick Care Formula} – Its not only for the kiddies and not all are created equal. I like them thick. Perfect for on the go facial cleansing, makeup removal, light stain removal on any surface, you name it and baby wipes can take it. Buy ‘em in bulk baby. www.pampers.com·

99% Pure Alcohol SprayI learned about this powerhouse liquid at makeup school. It can Sterilize anything! I spritz this on those dreaded paper cuts, makeup brushes and applicators, powder and concealer compacts, even the phone! The best part? It evaporates in seconds! A hidden jewel and must have! Your local drugstore may have up to 91%. The 99% is sold exclusively at fine Makeup Supply Stores. www.alconeco.com·

Band-aids – Classic first aid. I keep these handy at all times. Urban Outfitters seduced me to get some in a resealable tin printed with a the old British Military Slogan “Keep Calm And Carry On” (which is what one should do when caring for a cut) www.urbanoutfitters.com·

 Advil – Ibuprofen has many healing properties. It can stop minor swelling, fevers, cramps etc. I carry this religiously. No gain if you have pain. Period. www.advil.com·

Essence Of Beauty Body Lotion Citrus Coconut OMG! This is Turks & Caicos in a bottle. I have the whole collection and I’m in lust! Very smooth, moisturizing and fragrant. Made by *drum roll* CVS Drugstore! www.cvs.com

Makeup Bag Essentials·

La Mer Gel - Sometimes you have to splurge. This my friends is the holy grail of moisture. A lighter version of the classic crème. Perfect for summer. No excess oil. Your makeup will even go on smoother. Your blemishes with have a shorter life span. I am a product junkie but this one lives up to every claim. I carry a trial size on the go. Love this stuff. Believe the hype. *Tip* Find a La Mer counter near you and try a deluxe sample with a smaller purchase. www.cremedelamer.com·


 E.L.F. Complexion Brush – Va Va Voom! I adore a strong, luxurious face brush. I use this for even powder and/or blush application. At less than $5, how shalt thou go wrong? You’re going to go buck wild on this site! Enjoy! www.eyeslipsface.com/·

Milani Powder Compact & Concealer PotI have rebelled against the MAC movement *gasp*. There was a time when I needed to update my makeup kit for a shoot and like many of us, I needed to save money. I did some research and found this brand worked just as well without the beeswax - Yes there's beeswax in MAC. (beeswax is known to suffocate pores overtime - just sayin') I crave comfort and the look of natural shine free radiance when it comes to everyday makeup. This concealer pot (spf 35!) and foundation powder compact from Milani cosmetics evens my skin tone and gives me a fresh face. I still praise MAC for the eye colors but my facial skin now belongs to Milani. www.milanicosmetics.com·

Rouge – Wet n’ Wild came out with this silky finish blush..oh girls. Do not sleep. This adds a lovely rosy kiss to the cheeks! Smile and brush lightly on cheeks *Disclaimer* Blend well or you’ll look like an sideshow clown. www.drugstore.com·

Sephora Revitalizing Mist – The perfect setting spray after a makeup application. It creates a smooth, dewy and luminous complexion while sealing makeup for hours! Smells lovely as well. www.sephora.com·

H&M Winter Apple Lip Balm TinA winter sale blessed me with this sweet smelling salve. The perfect moisture prep under lip color but of course it can be worn alone. www.hm.com·

Soap & Glory ‘Sexy MutherPucker’ Lip GlossThis is a UK Brand that I LOVE. (seen right)This lip plump peach-tones gloss is yummy and stimulating. It tingles and plump even the fullest lip. Glides on with ease. Perfect shades for any skin tone. Vanilla Sugar Scented & Sexy Pout in a tube. www.target.com

The Smell Of Success

· Benefit Parfume ‘Gina’Part of Benefits ‘Cresant Row Series’ If you love the scent of ‘Angel’ by Thierry Mugler. This is a lighter, sweeter version. I love it. It adds an instant touch of class. I splash this on to add drama to my nostrils and those around me. Enjoy! http://www.benefitcosmetics.com

STAY TUNED FOR MORE ON THE LIFE, LOVE, BEAUTY & EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN!

Rhonda!
 
Interested in sharing the contents of your favorite handbag or purse? What does your essentials say about YOU? Send your pictures, tips and tricks to besonewyork@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment