Thursday, July 8, 2010

Jasmine Mondesir: My Independence Day

All week, we will be celebrating our very own "Independence"! Today, we feature mother, student, and SSNY diva, Jasmine Mondesir. Here she talks about her "Independence Day," and how it transformed her life.


Who is She: Jasmine Mondesir, age 28

Where is She From: Brooklyn, New York

What Does She Do: Mother, Student

"I am So New York because... I said so Fuhgeddaboutit!"



My Independence day came in 2 stages...

May 9th 2010: I boarded a plane with my 2 little ones in tow and set off on what I would call a vacation of sorts. I wanted to get away from my family and have space to just relax and think about my life. While out of New York for a month, being away gave me some perspective. I realized that my life wasn't bound to NYC and although I loved it there maybe it was a time for me to make a change.

Upon my booking my return ticket to NYC, opportunity happened to knock on my door and I answered: I was accepted into college! Something I had been putting off for a long time was showing itself again - and this time I wasn't going to ignore it. I returned to NYC for a total of 4 days, wrapped up some business and on June 15th 2010, I said goodbye to NYC for what may be for good.
June 15th 2010 my life started over. I left all the negative things about me, my life and my past at JFK airport and began the journey towards being the best woman, mother, student, daughter, role model I can be.

She's So New York is asking you: When was YOUR Independence Day? Did you leave a bad relationship? A dead-end job to pursue a passion? Your country/state/town for the bright lights of the Big Apple? We are asking for your triumph stories! Send them to our NEW e-mail address: besonewyork@gmail.com! Remember: YOUR story may help someone rewrite their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment