Monday, July 5, 2010

My Independence Day

January 19, 2008: the day I signed the lease on my very first apartment. Of all the days that stand out in my mind as profound moments, the day that I received the keys to my very first place was nothing short of amazing. After sharing a bedroom with my then one year son since his birth, I was finally able to provide him a home of his own, including his own bedroom.

Me and My Beanie, The Dynamic Duo of 2008

He and I - the dynamic duo, were embarking on a new life together and no one could tell me anything. After the tedious and seemingly hopeless tasks of saving money and apartment hunting (with him bundled up in a stroller, tagging along), knowing that the wait was finally over gave me the hope I was so desperately looking for at the time. Things WERE going to get better.

It didn't matter to me that I was a single mom and my apartment was nothing to brag about. I didn't care - this was the change I needed that would ultimately save my life. I was running on empty at the time: horrible breakup with my son's father, a job that I hated but paid me well, and a less than stellar home experience; I was looking for a miracle and my small yet quaint apartment would do the trick. Of course there were lonely nights and some days I wish I had someone to share my space with.  But with the help of my mother and some friends, those days were never as bad as they could've been.

I look back on that time in my life and how it truly changed me into a woman. I learned how to take care of myself emotionally, mentally, and spiritually - and ultimately learned to be a better mother for my son and a better woman for myself. I now knew what I wanted and most importantly, what I deserved. I wasn't going to compromise my happiness for anyone anymore, it was time for me to start living. That scary first step catapulted me into adulthood and as I look around this same apartment (only now there's a husband and another baby added to the mix), I wouldn't change a thing.

Portia Walker
Editor-in-Chief, She's So New York



All this week, we will be celebrating our very own "Independence Week!" She's So New York is asking you: When was YOUR Independence Day? Did you leave a bad relationship? A dead-end job to pursue a passion? Your country/state/town for the bright lights of the Big Apple? Proudly proclaim your sexuality? - We are asking for your triumph stories! Send them to our NEW e-mail address: besonewyork@gmail.com! Remember: YOUR story may help someone rewrite their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment