Monday, July 12, 2010

My Summer, My Way

Barbecues, parties, events, trips to the beach - the summer is where it happens. What is MY summer consisting of? Kid oriented days, and (if we're lucky enough to snag a babysitter) kid-less free nights.

The summer is filled with great fashion choices, new music and movie releases, guilty pleasure television, and free events to do any day of the week. Who can beat that? Here are some of the things I plan to do, see and listen to this summer!

Portia's Guide to Summer:


Music Staples:

Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE music. It's a bit of an obsession that I have and the summer always guarantees a wide range of new music to listen to, whether up and comers or seasoned veterans. I am digging The Black Keys, the two-man duo comprising singer/guitarist Dan Auerbach and drummer Patrick Carney, and their song "Next Girl."



Their bluesy folk album is a banger for those who love funkdafied grooves. The group will be playing shows in New York at the end of the month (July 27 and 28th), but unfortunately the shows are sold out! Bummer. Since we're missing it live, check out their newest album "Brothers."

Other music choices include Drake's "debut" album "Thank Me Later," the return of the illustrious Bilal Oliver with his new album "Air Tight's Revenge," Big Boi's "Sir Lucious Leftfoot: The Son of Chico Dusty," Kylie Minogue's "Aphrodite," and T.I.'s return with "King Uncaged."

She's So New York's JillzWorth and ND McCray will be giving you a taste of their music summer this week as well. Stay tuned!

Must See Movies:

Even though I have yet to read the book, I am anticipating crying my poor heart out in the movie theater while watching "Eat, Pray, Love." It's the ultimate chick flick based on the best selling memoir by author Elizabeth Gilbert. After finalizing her difficult divorce, Gilbert spent the next year traveling around the world. She spent four months in Italy, eating and enjoying life (Eat). She spent four months in India, finding her spirituality (Pray). She ended the year in Bali, Indonesia, looking for "balance" of the two and found love (Love).


The movie stars Julia Roberts and Javier Bardem and will be in theaters August 13th.

Other movies I am dying to see? I am DYING to  join the audience with at the Grease Sing A Long. I have loved this movie since I was a Broadway loving pre-teen and while everyone loved Sandy, (played by Olivia Newton-John), my favorite was the wild child Rizzo played by Stockard Channing. I fell in love with her attitude and her belting out "There are worse things I could do," a song that I know by heart (don't judge me). Add "Takers," "Despicable Me," "Salt," and "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World." to the list as well.

Books:

Whenever I get some time to myself, I love to crack open a new book and let my mind wander into fantasyland. One of the books I am dying to read? "The Carrie Diaries," by the wonderfully talented Candace Bushnell. An opportunity to learn more about the woman behind the phenomenon, Carrie Bradshaw? Yes please!

Other works of fiction/non-fiction that I can't wait to sink my teeth into: Put on Your Crown: Life- Changing Moments on the Path to Queendom by Queen Latifah, and Star Island by Carl Hiaasen.

EVENTS

There are events galore to witness and participate in throughout the summer. I plan to attend and groove out at the "Rock the Bells," concert. http://rockthebells.net/ 
With a lineup that is OUT OF THIS WORLD (seen right) why would I NOT be there?

I plan to bring a blanket and my love for Shakespeare to "Shakespeare in the Park," where Al Pacino stars in one of my favorites (and the play responsible for my name) "The Merchant of Venice." website as well as booging down at the best FREE performances in the park, SummerStage.

FASHION

Last but certainly not the least, I plan to showcase these thighs of mine in the latest summer staple: rompers. Made for all body shapes, rompers provide a chic and classic look for the dog days of summer.

Flats, and sandals are always a must in this heat. But who can resist a snazzy heel that screams "HOT"?

This week, we're premiering our latest series "The Trend Report," with our wonderful divalicious host Tiny (more on this ingenue later!) where we showcase the hottest trends hitting the streets on New York, as well as getting the scoop from our Glamm diva Tiffany, who will be covering summer fashion basics HER way this week on "Talking Glamm with the Glamm CEO!"

We have a fun filled week full of event listings, summer fashion staples, movies, music, dance and more - don't miss out!!

So now that I've let you in on MY summer, MY way, what are YOUR plans for summer? Send us your thoughts to besonewyork@gmail.com!

Portia Walker
Editor-in-Chief, She's So New York

No comments:

Post a Comment