Wednesday, July 7, 2010

ND McCray: My Independence Day

Literally, my independence day was August 9, 2002 —my last day on active duty in the United States Air Force. Though I wouldn’t “officially” be free of my eight-year obligation until January 5, 2003, mentally, I was free as a nomad!

Don’t get me wrong, the military was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I truly enjoyed; I met wonderful people (some of whom are still my best friends); I traveled practically to every major U.S. city you can think of, as well as lived in Haiti and Japan --but living in what I considered a “confined creative state” for essentially all of my twenties (a time when we do our most growing), when I came back to civilian life…I didn’t have a clue as to what I wanted to be as I was growing up. As a result it took me five years (2003-2008) to finally figure out that all the years I had been telling friends, family, co-workers and acquaintances about all the different music I was listening to, all the concerts I was attending, all the movies I was watching, books I was reading, that I was all but living my dream job and didn’t even know it.

So I’m no longer afraid to say it: At 33-years old I didn’t have all the answers to my life’s purpose. To be honest, at 35, I still don’t. I’m constantly exploring new things and new cultures and ideas, so who knows if I’ll ever want to have it all figured out. All I know is that everyday before I go to sleep I say, “Thank You” because I’ve had some of my lowest points in these last couple of years and I don’t take any of what’s being given to me for granted. And trust, I’ve worked by ass off to get to New York and I’ll continue to work it (no pun intended, okay maybe a little). But before I go, I’ll leave you all with one of my favorite quotes because it epitomizes my journey during that five-year soul searching period:


Do everything you can think of doing, so you know what you don’t want to do for the rest of your life”.
Live Love Pass It On


-ND McCray

All week, we will be celebrating our very own "Independence Week! She's So New York is asking you: When was YOUR Independence Day? Did you leave a bad relationship? A dead-end job to pursue a passion? Your country/state/town for the bright lights of the Big Apple? We are asking for your triumph stories! Send them to our NEW e-mail address: besonewyork@gmail.com! Remember: YOUR story may help someone rewrite their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment