My Top 5 Summer Concerts
As summer 2010 is winding down, here’s a recap of the Top 5 summer concerts that essentially rocked my world.
1. Jamie Lidell (electro soul, maybe?) | Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Jun 10th | The only way to describe Jamie Lidell’s music is to NOT! Jamie is an experience to say the least. He’s funny, quirky and has fantastic energy. Mesh all that together with a wide array of musical influences --and you have one of my favorite shows EVER!
2. Chromeo (80s electro) | The Trocadero, Philadelphia, Jul 27th | Because it sold out here in New York in a matter of hours, I literally drove out to Philly to catch the Canadian duo live --who by the way, slaughtered The Troc. Though it was an all ages crowd or maybe because of it, the energy of the place was through the roof. Dave 1 and P-Thugg showcased the essence of a live show: Give great energy and great music, and the audience will be adore you for it. That we did! http://www.myspace.com/chromeo
|The Brand New Heavies feat. N'Dea Davenport|
3. The Brand New Heavies feat. N’Dea Davenport (acid jazz/funk/soul) | Highline Ballroom, New York City, Jun 7th | This show transported me back to high school --when I first became a fan of the group with “Dream On Dreamer” and “Never Stop” during their 90s heyday. Lead singer N’Dea Davenport is still energetic, fun and on point with her London-based band members. http://www.myspace.com/thebrandnewheavies
4. Dam-Funk with DJ Spinna (electro boogie/soulful house) | Ft. Greene Park, Brooklyn, Aug 10th | LA-based Dam-Funk brought his laid-back California electro funk, experimental sounds to a perfect Tuesday evening in the park. DJ Spinna set the stage with old school R&B and soulful house. Perfection!
5. Maiysha (progressive soul/jazz/rock) | Joe’s Pub, New York City, Jun 24th | To round things off is Maiysha. This Brooklyn-based songtress amazes me each and every time I catch her performances --which I’ve caught several times over the last year or so. She’s a little bit of rock, a little bit of jazz, but always full of soul. http://www.myspace.com/maiyshamusic
--ND McCray, Music Editor
What summer concerts blew you away? Let's Discuss!