Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Coming Out: Shahtesha Grant

As we celebrate Gay Pride week, we share with you personal stories from the eyes of the ladies (and men) who express what Gay Pride means to them. They share their stories, struggles and triumphs - living testaments to what NYC is all about: living and loving. Here we hear from Shahtesha Grant, a bi-sexual mother of two from Brooklyn, talking about loving freely with no regrets!

Who Is She: Shahtesha Grant, Age 24
Her Borough: Brooklyn
Her Passions: Being a Mom, Graphic Arts, Fashion Design & being in front of the cameras
"I am So New York because I am so Brooklyn. I breathe it, I talk it and I live it. There's no place like home and home is New York!"

"When I think of Gay Pride the first thing that comes to my mind is a unity of people who are free to be themelves. I think of love unconditionally. I think of being happy.


I remember when I was a 13 year old virgin dating a 16 year old boy. We would kiss, he'd get hard and I'd go home. Just like that.  I remember his 17 year old sister telling me that she thinks I am gay. Gay? The word and its meaning puzzled me as I thought to myself: "Am I Gay?"


 I noticed that I was very attracted to the female body. I loved the curves of a woman. I loved the lips, hips and ass. I would watch sexy ultra feminine women walk and I'd watch the studs too. It was as if I wanted them all!  I started talking to ladies on the chat line and hanging out in Greenwich Village. I became very aware of myself: wore rainbow bracelets and fashionable about my appearance. I was partying in lesbian clubs and having a great time. At 16, I experienced my first sexual experice with a female and I enjoyed every bit.


While many days was fun and I was busy portraying myself as proud teen lesbian, I wasn't OUT yet to my family. I would come home and get "UnGay" - taking off all my rainbow items and leaving my stud looking friends somewhere far. I lived with my mom and I felt like she could smell a lesbian from a mile away and I wasn't ready to be smelled out in front of her. I know my mother was accepting but for her to know I was gay, would mean my dad and everyone else would know too! With my my dad being a member of the Nation of Islam and my grandmother a Reverend, it would be long talks with the both of them that I wasn't ready to have.
As I got older, I decided I wanted to have kids and should "try" men out. I dated a few guys during my college years and one night I decided to try sex with one- I loved it! It helped me open up to guys and made me realize that sex is sex and love is love. I love people that love me. Having sex with a man OR woman, is all the same to me.


So now, 12 years later after finding out who I truly am inside, Gay Pride to me means self-acceptance. Loving the people I love - man or woman by just being real with myself.
Coming Out Stories you want to share? Stories of successful same sex relationships? Triumph stories? Gay Pride Memories? Bi-Sexual/Curious? Transgendered? Are you the brother or sister of a gay male or female? Are you still in the closet? Why? What does Gay Pride mean to you?
Send in your submissions to walkergordonproductions@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment