Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Word From Portia


The initial idea for ShesSoNewYork.com came from the worst moment of my life. Within two hours of each other, my computer and Blackberry crashed. The first large purchases in my new apartment just upped and died. I didn't see it coming! The screen flashed what they call the "blue screen of death." Tres Mortifying. I wallslide, just thinking about it; it was that unreal for me. MY BELOVED BLACKBERRY!?!? ('scuse me, caught a flashback of pain... it's like my own vietnam).

Sooo... the scorecard should now read: no technology, one husband, two sons, and too much time on my hands to think. I pondered over several ideas I had placed on the mental backburner. Here enters Tamela. She and I are kindred spirits, high school friends with fond memories of Crown Fried Chicken, Afrocentricism (equipped with incense, headwraps, and books filled with poems) and The Tom Green Show (good times). I laid on her my idea of this website that I thought would be great for us to create. As writers with a passion for reading and creativity, we are constantly piggybacking off each other with talks about everything under the sun. Even after a ten year distance, we picked up where we left off (without the weight-gain and teen angst).

Here's the biggest similarity wItalice noticed during this first meeting of the minds: we have a lot in common with other women. We are, actually, walking billboards for the everyday New York woman. Focus, yet, free-spirited. Caring for everyone but ourselves. Filled with hopes and dreams we guard with our lives. Working on a schedule so tight and fast-paced, track stars would have a problem keeping up. Busy, trying to juggle our careers, our love lives, our children, our families, and ourselves. Because, no matter who we are or where we come from, as women, we experience the same trials and tribulations, no matter how different we may appear to be on the outside. It was with that understanding that we're creating a website that didn't identify with one kind of woman. We want all women of New York to come together.

We're not creating a website - we're building a community! ShesSoNewYork.com is going to be loaded with your stories, interviews that are relevant to you, places to eat, shop, and be entertained that are affordable and worth the time. We're going to keep you up-to-date with all the things that matter to you: music, fashion, books, wellness, nightlife, beauty, politics, relationships- the ultimate safe haven.

Until we officially launch (late-summer of this year!) be sure to check back here for the latest updates and listings from the ShesSoNewYork.com family. Also, check us out on Facebook (She's So New York) and on twitter (ShesSoNewYork). We are asking you to spread the word and let us know what you're looking to see on your new favorite website!

I thank you in all in advance from the bottom of my heart, you have no idea how much this means to Tami and I. The revolution begins with us, and I have my party shoes on ready to celebrate!!

Smooches

Portia Walker
walkergordonproductions@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment